As you prepare to showcase your skills and qualifications, remember that interviews are not just about impressing the interviewer. They also provide you with an opportunity to evaluate the company and determine if it aligns with your career goals and by asking thoughtful questions you will demonstrate your interest in the role. Below are some examples of questions you could ask to help you make an informed decision.
Skills and Attributes📋 📊
Understanding the scope of your day-to-day responsibilities and expectations will help you assess whether it aligns with your skills, interests, and career objectives. This question helps you reiterate why you are a perfect fit for the role.
- What does a typical day or week in this role look like?
- What are the skills and experiences you’re looking for in an ideal candidate?
- What attributes does someone need to have to be successful in this position?
- What are the biggest challenges in this job role?
Growth and Development🎓 🌱
Think of each new opportunity not just as a job, but as the next step on your path to career success. This question shows your commitment to continuous learning and career progression.
- What opportunities for professional growth and development are available?
- Will there be opportunities for stretch assignments where I can learn and use new skills?
- Are there opportunities for advancement within the company?
- Where have successful employees previously in this position progressed to? Are there examples of career path beginning with this position?
Success and Performance 📈 🏆
Understanding how the company measures success and performance can provide insights into its priorities and expectations. It also gives you an idea of how your own progress and achievements will be evaluated, which can be valuable for setting goals and managing expectations.
- How does the company measure success and performance?
- What are the performance expectations of this position over the first 6/12 months?
- What’s the performance review process like? How often would I be formally reviewed?
Teamwork and Collaboration 👨💼🌍
Enquire about the company’s approach to teamwork, collaboration, and cross-functional projects. Understanding how teams work together and whether there are opportunities for collaboration can help you assess if the company’s dynamics align with your preferred work style.
- What is the company’s approach to teamwork and collaboration?
- Can you tell me about the team I’ll be working with?
- Who will I work with most closely? What other departments or units will I interact with?
- Can you tell me about my direct reports? What are their strengths and the team’s biggest challenges?
Questions about Them 👥👨💼
If you are being interviewed by the hiring manger, it is good to direct some questions about them. By doing this you are not only indirectly complimenting them, but it will also help you understand what their success/values means to them.
- What do you consider your biggest success at the company?
- Why did you join the company and what do you like about working here?
- What do you personally find most exciting about the company future?
Closing Questions 🤝💼
Understanding the timeline and expectations allows you to follow up appropriately and plan your job search accordingly.
- Is there anything else I can provide you with that would be helpful?
- Is there anything I clarify for you about my qualifications?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
Asking the right questions during an interview is a powerful way to gather essential information and assess if a company and role are the right fit for you. We hope some of these questions help as a starting point to enhance your interview experience. Good luck! 🌟🤞
We will follow on from his blog with further ways to approach the questions around culture, values, diversity, equality and inclusion.